Looking for more ways to get the most out of your weightlifting routine? Keep these simple tips in mind while you’re at the gym and you’ll be on your way to a more effective workout.
- Don’t stretch too much right before you begin. Stretching can provide a great way to warm and increase blood flow to tight muscle fibers, but too much cold, static stretching right before a weight training session can actually weaken muscles temporarily. Warm up first, then do a few dynamic stretches in which your body is moving and stretching at the same time.
- Choose your goals and build your routine around them. Are you trying to gain strength or build mass? For stronger muscles and better athletic performance, lift lighter weights and do more reps. For big muscle mass, choose heavy weights and lift to the point of failure, then start again. For both goals, stay focused on technique.
- Lift safely. Never let your raised arms move backward beyond the point of your ears, and avoid any move that places unnatural strain on your joints or back. Don’t lift heavy weights without a spotter.
- Surround yourself with support. A great support network can do amazing things for your workout goals. Surround yourself with positive people, and make sure you give as much encouragement as you receive. If your gym is negative or demoralizing, find a new gym.
- Choose the right gear. Make sure your gear is clean, safe, and well maintained. This includes clothing and weight lifting gloves. Instead of smelly, bacteria laden gloves that can restrict your range of motion, try moisture-wicking Gripads. These simple little pads slide on over your fingers and protect your hands from rough equipment without compromising your effective workout.